July 20, 2009

Lovin' Summer With Mock Key Lime Pie

I haven't been as dedicated to my kitchen as usual, and there are a few reasons why.....
This is one,

And here's another.
I love being outdoors watching my backyard bloom into color with very little help from me. Summer is a time to explore, connect and "lighten up" a bit. Nothing compares to eating dinner outside and enjoying a glass of wine with a cool breeze a-blowin'. I just love it!

As for trying to "lighten up" a bit, I've taken to the recipe books in the search for something "lime", and found this little goodie tucked away between the pages of my JELLO cookbook. Ordinarily, I'm not a jello-type person, but this is really good. It's a mock version of Key Lime Pie. I've made it into a low sugar version so it can be enjoyed virtually guilt-free.

Granted, a real Key Lime Pie is definitely the way to go if you're entertaining, but for Mr. Grumps and me, this will do just fine. The consistency is almost like marshmallow; it melts in your mouth and is super light. I like it because it's so darn quick and easy, and I can get back outside before the season is gone.

Mock Key Lime Pie (print)
(makes one 8-inch pie)

You'll need:
1 graham cracker pie crust (premade, or you can make your own)
1 small box of sugar-free lime Jello
1/4 cup boiling water
1 8 oz. container of sugar-free Cool Whip
Two 6 oz. containers of lowfat lime yogurt
one "squirt" of fresh lime juice

In a medium sized bowl, combine the jello and boiling water; stir until jello has dissolved. Gently fold in the whipped topping, then the yogurt, then the "squirt".

Spoon into pie crust, chill for 2 hours.

Sprinkle top with extra graham cracker crumbs, or even crushed pretzels.

Slice and serve!

3 comments:

figtree said...

Simple and delicious..perfect for the summer!!!!Figtreeapps

Sara said...

Pretty Hydrangeas! I have enjoyed your blog so much that i nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award-check it out at http://svoortmeyer.blogspot.com

"Vanilla and Thyme" said...

Sara - how nice of you to nominate me for Kreativ Blogger. I really appreciate it! I also enjoy your blog as well; thanks again for sharing your ideas with me- karen