June 21, 2009

Turkey Burgers

I've never really had too much luck grilling turkey burgers because they stick so easily to the grill. So imagine how happy I was to watch "Emeril" Friday morning doing a grilling segment on this very topic! I grabbed a pen and paper, (as well as my coffee) and sat down to list his secret cooking technique. I have to say, it wasn't what I expected.

Before he put the prepared turkey burgers on the grill, he placed them in ice water for 10 minutes. "Well..." I thought, "It's Emeril. And if anyone should know anything about cookin' and grillin', it's probably going to be him."

Long story short, I tried the soaking method. And my burgers still stuck a little bit. But they did turn out juicier and plumper than usual.

Now, my advice would be to generously spray a piece of foil with cooking spray and grill them on the foil first. Then place them on direct heat to brown them up really good just before they're done. I'm not sure about soaking them again in ice water, but I gave it a shot. Both ways work well. I think you just have to really watch your heat. The hotter the flame, the more likely it is you will end up with sticky burgers.

See what you think:

Grilled Turkey Burgers
(print)
Serves 4

1 lb. fresh, ground turkey (93-95% lean, or white/dark meat ground together)
2 scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning
1 clove garlic, finely minced
3 shakes of Frank's hot sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
sea salt/cracked pepper, (to your taste)
1 egg white
2 tablespoons unflavored bread crumbs
olive oil

First, try not to handle the mixture too much. Place all ingredients in a large bowl except for the olive oil; wet your hands with water, and gently mix to combine.

Form into 4 thin patties, and chill until ready to grill.

Once ready, spray your foil. Lightly drizzle the patties with olive oil, coating both sides of each burger. Grill on medium heat, checking for doneness using a meat thermometer. If burgers are sticking to the foil, turn down your heat. Just before they're done, move onto cooking grate directly over the flame. Baste with a little oil again, and just brown lightly.

Serve on warm, toasted kaiser rolls with mustard, a bit of mayo, lettuce, tomato and if desired, your favorite cheese.

No comments: