June 2, 2009

Grilled Fish and Veggies

Let me tell you, I'm not really a "fish" person. Although I like seafood, I can't stomach eating anything that remotely resembles a fish. I can only enjoy eating seafood if there's no evidence that the fillet on my plate formerly swam in the ocean....or worse, a lake.

You can imagine my frustration when I order fresh fish from the supermarket. I ask that they completely skin my order, ensure it's completely deboned, and wrap it twice so I don't have to smell it. I only cook my fish outside because I can't stand my house smelling like an aquarium tank. I could never, ever eat fish prepared by chefs on the food network who serve a "complete" fish; eyes and all. It makes me lightheaded just thinking about it.

That's why it's funny that I even like seafood, let alone cook it. I promise you, any seafood recipes I post on this blog, have been scrutinized and prepared to look the least offensive, and smell great. The reason I continue my quest for great seafood recipes, is because fish is one of Mr. Grumps' favorite meals. He loves it more than anything, and since he really doesn't ask for much, it's the least I can do. Just make him a seafood dinner. It makes him very happy.

This recipe is actually my own creation after trying many different ways of grilling fish. If you place the fish directly on the grill, or on a grill pan, it just seems to still have a little bit of a fishy taste, and if you don't watch your cooking time, it will be dry. Again, I don't want to eat fish that is dried out, and tastes or smells "fishy'. Still with me? Try this recipe, even if you're not a seafood lover. It comes out moist, flavorful, and smells fresh. The best part? You cook it in foil right on the grill, so there's no fishy pans to wash. Let me know what you think -(glub...glub....fish noises?)

Grilled Fish & Veggies (in foil)
(print)

1 large fillet of fish (recommended: tilapia, haddock, sea bass)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 russet potato, sliced paper thin
olive oil
sea salt/pepper
2 teaspoons pesto
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, finely chopped (use a jar brand, drained well)
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 plum tomatoes, finely diced
1 scallion, sliced thin
4 basil leaves, sliced
3 tablespoons white wine

Pour the 1/2 cup of milk into a ziploc bag. Gently rinse the fillet, pat dry, and place in the bag with the milk. In a shallow pie dish, combine the bread crumbs and sliced garlic cloves. Remove the fish from the milk, and coat with the crumbs and garlic.

Lay a sheet (about 20") of foil on the counter. Spray with cooking spray. Place the potatoes in a single layer; sprinkle with salt and pepper.


Place the breaded fillet on top of the potatoes. Lightly drizzle with olive oil.

In a small bowl, combine the pesto, artichokes, scallion and lemon juice. Spread this mixture over the fish. Now spoon the diced tomatoes and basil over the artichoke mixture. Season again with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with the white wine. Bring up sides of foil; crease and fold down. Tuck in the ends to seal as a "bag".


Place on a preheated grill (400 degrees). Bake for 30 minutes and remove to cool. After 5 minutes, unwrap, transfer to a warm plate, and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with additional lemons. A perfect dish for an outdoor dinner on the deck. (If you are cooking more than one fillet, then package each separately.) Enjoy!

No comments: