June 27, 2009

Tuna Steaks On the Grill!

Whenever I eat grilled tuna, I kind of feel like I'm enjoying a strip steak. Seasoning and grilling these fillets virtually eliminates any "fishy" taste they may have. (We've discussed my fish phobias before, remember? If not, refresh your memory with the Grilled Tilapia post).

I bought these in the fish department freezer case at our local grocery store (recommended by the "fish butcher" there). For this recipe, you could purchase fresh tuna if you wanted to, but I opted for the frozen ones. Believe it or not, they taste fresh, are cheaper than the fresh cuts in the fish case, and according to the package, are cleaned and flash frozen to maintain freshness. Have I emphasized the word "fresh" enough times? Don't know if that's true or not about being "flash frozen", (I'm visualizing some type of superhero with super powers working at the docks), but I really enjoyed them, and so did Mr. Grumps. Besides, I like having a package or two in the freezer for those "what should we have for dinner" nights.

Grilled Tuna Steaks
(print)
serves 2

2 frozen tuna fillets; thawed, rinsed and patted dry
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
sea salt/cracked pepper

Pour the vinaigrette and lemon juice into a ziploc bag. Rinse the fillets, pat dry with paper towels, and place them in the marinade. Seal the bag; place in fridge for 20 minutes.

Preheat grill, and grease grates with olive oil. Remove tuna from the bag, season with salt and pepper, discard bag with marinade. When grill is hot, sear the tuna for 5-8 minutes on each side; medium high heat. Do not over grill, or it will be dry. Baste with additional fresh vinaigrette while grilling.

Serve hot with additional fresh lemon wedges. As my grandmother would say "try it...you'll like it!"

No comments: