April 28, 2009

Quiche For Dinner

At this point, I wish I could say that I found the perfect gas grill, but it hasn't happened. Mr. Grumps and I drove around Sunday and looked at a few floor models, but didn't have much luck. The grills are either way too big, way too expensive, or really flimsy. I'll keep looking, but in the meantime, I'm trying to think of new ideas for dinner until I can get those burgers outside on an open flame!

Tonight, it was quiche. I made two different versions, served hot with a crisp salad of romaine hearts and grape tomatoes. I like quiche because it really can be served at any time. I love to make it for brunch, but some nights, it's a comforting dinner. Plus, it's pretty fast and easy. Many friends have given me some awesome recipes of their own, so choosing a recipe to use is hard. This is a combo recipe from Better Homes & Gardens, and a bit of my own additions and measurement changes. I don't make my own pie crust for this, I prefer to purchase the rolled, premade ones (usually found in the dairy department), which work just as nice.

Cheese Veggie Quiche

1 rolled, refrigerated pie crust (single crust)
8 large eggs
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup milk, light cream, or half and half
salt/pepper
2/3 cup of your favorite cheddar (shredded)
1/2 cup of colby jack/mozzarella/swiss/provolone (shredded)
3 cups: fresh baby spinach or frozen chopped broccoli
1 teaspoon parsley
2 scallions, sliced thin
(tomato for garnish, if desired)

Preheat oven to 325, and lightly spray a deep, glass pie dish with cooking spray. Unroll the pie crust, and evenly fit and press it into the dish.

Place your veggies (no precooking), grated cheese, parsley and scallions right onto the crust, spread out evenly. In a blender, add your eggs, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper. Blend for about 30 seconds and pour over veggie/cheese mixture. If desired, garnish with sliced tomato on top before baking. Top tomato with additional cheese.

Bake at 325 for 40 minutes, or until center is set and quiche is browned.




This was made with broccoli, colby jack and mozzarella:








And this was with fresh baby spinach, tomatoes, mozzarella, and sharp cheddar.




Eggs and cheese, what a great partnership! Kind of like Mr. Grumps and me! :)

2 comments:

Alisa said...

I am going to try that quiche recipe! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh i am so hungry now everything looks soooo good! I love your web sight....JoAnn