April 16, 2009

"Lemons, Again!"


Spring is finally here, and my wheels are turning. We have to buy a new gas grill this summer, and I want a good one. I'm sick of hearing the "click, click, click" of a rusted starter when I'm standing on the deck with a plateful of burgers and veggies. It makes me crazy! Until that happens, I bought a grill pan for my stove, which works just as nicely.

Dinner last night included roasted asparagus with.....lemon! It was great, and I can't wait to try it on a real grill soon.

Roasted Asparagus With Lemon
You'll need: a nice, fresh bunch of crispy asparagus, one lemon, about a tablespoon of italian breadcrumbs, and a bit of your favorite olive oil.
Lightly brush your grill pan (or grill racks) with olive oil. (I usually pour a little on a good quality paper towel, and use it to grease the outdoor grill racks.)
Wash the asparagus and cut about 1 inch off the bottom of each stalk. Gently use a vegetable peeler to strip away the bottom outer layer of the stalk. (Strip only about half from the bottom up - you don't want to touch the asparagus tips).
Place asparagus on the pan/grill, continually baste with a little oil, and roast until nicely browned and tender.
Move to a warm plate. Squeeze fresh lemon over the asparagus, salt and pepper to taste, and lightly sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Let sit for a few minutes - then enjoy!
This goes well with Lemon Chicken!

No comments: